Sunday 23 October 2016

for future generations!


On Arbor Day, October 14, my geography class was invited to the Island for Sustainability for extra credit. Dr. Underwood spoke for a few minutes, welcoming everyone however mainly speaking in regards to trees. He said, be as trees are with intrinsic values. He expressed his love for trees, spoke in Chamorro a few times. Ended by saying, the closer we were to trees would be the closer we are to finding ourself and where we stand in life. After his speech.. There was a little boy who also wrote a poem for trees in Chamorro, I was not too sure if he was chamorro but it was definitely pleasing to see and hear younger generations engaging in the culture and language. It was definitely great for me to see Dr. Underwood, someone much older than I am, and the little boy, much younger than I am.. engaging in traditions, in a bigger picture.. the environment. As we planted trees, one of the agriculture workers invited us to plant again.. on Oct. 22nd... On Saturday, October 22nd, I went tree planting in Merizo. It was possibly one of the most memorable experiences. I was able to see the hard work and dedication of those around me. It definitely takes a community to make a difference but it starts with one, connecting with multiple people and those people connecting with other people. I have been interested in extracurriculars such as this, environmental sustainability.. and, I got a chance to see my cousin enjoy the events also. She started to engage so much, that she also invited her friend.. next thing you know, there were three of us.. some may say "only three," but it's three more people that care about what surrounds us, what the future holds.

1 comment: